May 15, 2012

Foster Care

Since we have started this adoption, my eyes have been opened to all types of adoption.  My heart has been moved not only for international adoption, but for domestic, foster care and any child in need of a home regardless of ethnicity or location.

In March, Trey and I began on the path to become foster parents. To date, we have completed all of our paperwork, fingerprints, background checks, fire & dhec inspections, and 14 hours of class training. All that said and done, we're pretty close to being licensed. One final step before we can receive a placement is having a home study done through DSS. We have our appointment this Friday to have that completed and I'm thinking we'll have our first foster placement at some point this summer. :)
We have always heard there is a great need for good foster parents, but never thought we'd be one of them.  It's amazing how God has worked in our lives since we stepped out in faith to adopt.  We know fostering will be trying, but I know the blessings from it will be great. If we can offer a small slice of what a true family looks like to a child less fortunate, that is enough for me.  No matter how long they are with us, we will do everything we can to help them adjust and be as loved and comforted as possible.  It will be a perfect opportunity to plant seeds of hope into the lives of our youth.  Our aspiration is to eventually adopt from DSS, but for now we are content waiting for our African princess to come home and helping children in need of a stable home along the way.

I know there aren't too many resources out there for perspective foster parents, so if you've ever thought of fostering before, I'd be happy to answer any questions I can. If I don't have the answer, I'll try to point you to someone who can. :) I am praying that more ordinary people like myself will respond to the call to become a foster or adoptive parent. All it takes is just a phone call to get the wheels rolling.

Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf welcomes me... -Mark 9:37

No comments:

Post a Comment